Wednesday 6 June 2012

loaded smells: mulch


garden mulch is a smell on
which I drank myself
into adulthood –
and when I’m old and the
only ellipsis left
is that of the great perhaps it
will blow towards me in
a squall of memory, the scent
of the saturday trips
to the warrandyte nursery,
the fig tarts we ate there,
the christmas trees we
had chopped down and loaded,
the mulch hillocks
I could have ran up and down forever –

whole decades will have vanished
by then – fettered as I am by this
nembutal imperative – fettered
but fearless – I can watch
the umbrella of a  water fountain crown
and land like the sound of babies
treading water, float tranquilly down to
the cavernous pits of my remembrance –
I can like it there. So when the dump truck
bucks a mulch mound into the centre
of royal park, I imbibe it as if I’m about
to be submerged, knowing
I’ve a few more gulps of that woody elixir
left before my long hair turns white.


No comments:

Post a Comment