Monday 13 August 2012

relationship tale, dissociation poem


Men invented farewells because they somehow knew themselves to be immortal, even while seeing themselves as contingent and ephemeral.
-Jorge Luis Borges

I had been drawn to her legs by the burgundy jodhpurs she was wearing, and the slowness with which she had tied up her hair after sitting down was rather therapeutic to watch, as well as beautiful. Her thick hair was the colour of wet sand and the sun had turned its curled tips to caramel. The clothing she had on was simple and unaffected and very pretty. There was small a dimple underlining her left eye that I supposed would grow larger when she smiled. Whoever was wearing the kind of women’s perfume I liked most of all had temporarily forfeited ownership of that scent to her. At each red light I would lurch a little further out of my seat towards her. The distance I was trying to bridge did not feel as unbridgeable as it should have between two strangers on a crowded morning tram, even though I never saw her look my way.

My stop was approaching. As I scrolled through the playlists on my I-pod, I thought of every possible pretext on which to speak with her but could settle on none. How could I be both polite and propositional in the few seconds between the doors opening and closing? I decided that I could not be. A scene from a film I had seen that week then entered my mind: a man and woman are waiting on the train station platform and the wind is blowing. Giddied by the woman’s beauty, the man loses grip of some of his work papers; one of them is swept right into the woman’s face. As he peels it off her apologetically, the man finds that a perfect red kiss from the woman’s lips has been imprinted onto his boring file – his heart is set aflutter. I sank back into my seat and looked at the toothpaste blots on my jeans. I could smell my own unwashed hair and it was comforting. Then the old man beside me stood and pulled the cord; it was also time for me to get out, I realised. I started the playlist entitled ambient space travel 3 at an arbitrary point, shifted my knees to let the old man out and then followed him towards the front exit.

Before the tram came to a halt, I decided to pay her one last glance because I would never again be so near to her. But when I turned my head I saw that she was not sitting down but standing right behind me, also waiting to get out. I considered moving aside chivalrously to let her alight first, but there was not space enough; she would have had to squeeze awkwardly past. And so I did nothing. I stepped out routinely and crossed over onto Grattan Street. Thinking only of her and the fact that she was not evanescent, that I could stop and let her catch me up at any time, I quickened the pace at which I was walking and turned up the volume of ambient space travel 3 – the track playing was called flux and mutability. I held my breath past the hoards of gowned smokers standing in front of the Royal Melbourne Hospital, dodged the outbound traffic on Royal Parade so that I was on the traffic island in the middle.


The crossing light was taking a long time to change. Meanwhile a few more people had played chicken and won; their reward was to be with me on the tiny island. She was one of them.
-Late for a lecture?
I took off my headphones and set them around my neck. I was surprised to hear how badly the sound bled – the airy harmonies of the synthesiser pads were louder than the idling cars.
-Actually, I don’t have lectures.
-Lucky!
-I’m a fourth year student.
-In?
-Bio…
-logy?
-Ethics. Philosophy.
She laughed and with her dimple enlarged said that she studied architecture and that that sort of stuff was too mind-blowing for her. Only then did I notice that she spoke with an accent. I had begun to talk about an uncle of mine who was an architect when the light changed. We crossed together. On the other side, we stopped and stood at the point where Royal Parade and Grattan Street intersected, where the university abutted the pavement in the shape of an arrow pointing away.
-So where are you going?
-This way. Where are you going?
-That way.
I know that if we were to exchange numbers, then I would have to instigate the exchange. I did not. Instead, I wished her a lovely day and goodbye and she repaid me in kind. The last memory I have is of of her letting her hair down in the distance, near the music auditorium.

Was it cowardice – that deprived me of her? Or was I waiting, if not for the Disneyfied ‘right’ moment, then at least for a moment that was righter?  I am not so sure. All I know is that I have been sick with loneliness and regret ever since and hope that in one lifetime or another that righter moment will come along and I will feel better.


Dissociation 


Earth is calling but Marcel waits
with bated breath for the moon
rover to return with his breakfast
and the morning paper he wrote
himself while in the thrall of a comet’s
act of dying – in fact, all sorts
of those wild explosions you can expect
to see when you’re the only pyro-
-technician in the cosmos – so
earth writes a letter and it says, Marcel,
I must apologise  for my problems
with gravity – I know both kinds
are required to keep you happy or,
at least, living –  but I promise now
that it’s all systems go – just read
your own article on page four to see
how accommodating I’ve become –
your hopeful habitat, earth.

^

I am calling but one of your mates
answers, tells me you have just opened up
your arm with a house key, fitfully
laughing as after a NOS bomb –
blaming our mum and dad –  so
I drive over to Justin’s place and see
port-coloured spills on the brown
rental home carpet, next to a coffee table
strewn with bluish mushrooms and loose
baccy and rolling paper – an old Element
shirt of mine wrapped round your arm –
-how passive you seem now, so calmly
interstellar and how sober the voice of the lady
paramedic when she says come back to us
compared to my manic come back down!






No comments:

Post a Comment