Wednesday 13 February 2013

waking poetry


morning, and the stepped-on cigarettes
spill open - tobacco hair from ear canals –
the school group crowding round 
smells of lime zest and strawberry bubble tape – the man
whose white beard streams from upright chin to lap
pays me no mind and I can’t understand –

asphalt, scuffed like an ice rink at day’s end
is hailed with small rocks loosed by the Eltham train –
flung up higher than I thought they would be
making indents as they land that I cant see
but which exist as sure as the crags 

in hilly terrain exist, and the concaves at her temples
she rubs as though trying in vain to tell
her own future, that pencil-skirted girl
younger than my little brother, but
weighted already to catch the biggest fish
weightless enough to be easily reeled in –

the old man walks more beautifully than her
but both are scarred beyond all recognition –
then a bell: the boom gates are coming down.


No comments:

Post a Comment