Monday 4 March 2013

scene in which the narrator and Sarah have dinner


“I heard someone climbing the ladder to the top bunk, which was where I slept. It was my sister, Hilary. She’s four years older than me as you know, so at that time I guess she’d have been about nine. I was about five, obviously. Anyway, I couldn’t even tell it was Hilary yet. I remember being half asleep, and turning over to the side of the bed with the ladder. There were quite a lot of bite marks on the wooden railings; it was this really soft cheap IKEA wood and I used to gnaw on it as a toddler. When I was teething it was my favourite thing to gnaw on because I liked how the wood grain was porous…and how I could suck my spit back up through it…the sound it made, the way it felt, the woody taste my spit picked up in the process. I still have this vivid memory of holding onto the railings to prop myself up and my hand being right on one of the deepest bite marks, the grain of the wood, the little fragments of stuff breaking away at my touch. On the rare occasions when I think about that moment it’s almost as if the nerve endings in my fingers do too, because they start, you know, transmitting the sensation of the wood to my brain, to the point where I’ve even had to check my fingers to make sure there isn’t a whole heap of splinters in them”.

·       

A man and woman of middle age, definitely married, got to the door, which my chair was facing. They looked ostentatious but poor. It was a double door made of glass, with a menu and a couple of old Cheap Eats stickers blu-tacked to one side at chest height. The opening hours and the proprietor’s name – C. Hamet – were written in cream coloured vinyl on the other side, at a similar height. Only one of the doors was unlocked; the man chose the wrong one and, being thus denied, laughed and turned to the woman for a sort of acknowledgement that it was an amusing thing to have happened, that there was amusement in their lives yet, which she provided in the form of even more frivolous laughter. She had on a dreamcatcher necklace, no earrings, and a lot of turquoise eyeliner. I didn’t pay the man’s appearance much attention except to note that he was bald on top and that he wore a waistcoat but no jacket. Taking hold of the other door handle, he used the outside of his forearm to push. The door rattled but didn’t open. He looked at the woman again. She’d put one hand on her chest and was practically wetting herself with laughter. By this time our waiter and another waiter were eyeing one another off from across the crowded dining room, considering letting them in. A much younger man and woman had also arrived at the door. Noticing them, the first man finally pulled it open, exchanging mirthful glances with his wife; then he said something to the tune of ta-da!, then he looked at the others and beckoned them inside and said something else to which they responded with courteous laughter, and gave thanks, before the faintest of smiles settled on all their faces like rock residue over rocks of a different colour. Had any of the laughter been genuine, I thought, the transitions would’ve taken more time.
The man let everybody in before him. He and the woman commented on the warmth and beauty of the interior, pointing at the Buddhist shrine in one corner, the crystal chandelier, the gunmetal feature wall with a big Bacopa hanging from it, the fresh coriander growing in gutter-width wooden planter boxes along both sidewalls (which were beige), the open kitchen, the Mexican-made Bose speakers; pointing at and complimenting everything, basically. The male floor manager leading them to their table seemed appreciative but also somewhat lost for words. No longer flattered by the glass, I realised that the man and woman were older, by decades, than I’d supposed. The hair on the back and sides of the man’s head was dyed a ridiculous shade of dark brown.

Sarah wiped her mouth. She put the single-use serviette on her plate, arranged her cutlery, and then nudged it all forwards an inch or so. I reached over and nudged it back. She nudged it forwards again; I left the plate alone and took her hand and kissed it. She laughed and dropped her hands under the table and both raised and put back her shoulders. Then she took a deep breath. Her side of the tablecloth, even the edge, was clean. There was a smile on her face. From the scant amount of food she’d eaten, and the way her eyes shone, I inferred that she was hoping to fuck when we got home; from the way I felt I knew we wouldn’t.
“So,” she said through a yawn, “what happened then?”
“What happened when?”
As I helped myself to the last of the tamarind braised chicken and the last piece of roti, I told her about the incident I’d just witnessed at the door. I must have worded it harshly or something, because despite my laughter she looked at me with an unimpressed visage and said, I don’t know why you’re always working yourself up into a lather about weird things like that”.
The waiter came to take her plate away. He also asked if she was finished with her glass of wine, which had a drop or two of liquid left in it, and she surprised me by answering that she wasn’t. Maybe, though, it was just that the surprise I’d felt at being rebuked by her, at being given a hint as to her dissatisfaction with some element, any element, of how I thought and behaved, even it was the gentlest hint possible, had carried over into my processing of her next statement, because not once in our relationship, I later realised, had Sarah spoken to me like that. Not once had I heard her say, I don’t know why you’re always: the consequences of this moment would be good at first, liberating even, before becoming kind of good but also very bad.
“I’m not in a lather about anything,” I composed myself enough to insist. “It was right in front of me, that’s all”
 “I meant nothing by it, babe. But aren’t you going to finish the other story? The one about your sister? You seemed so excited to start it”. One of her hands gently gripped my right kneecap like a tennis ball about to be tossed for service. 


No comments:

Post a Comment