Tuesday 16 July 2013

mountain poem 1, part 2


the girls enter the water, paddle single-file
like a family of garrulous otters
to a matrix of reed-covered ropes
still affixed to the bottom but without a raft
and hang there, buoyant, despite a lack of salt

heels and arses bobbing like planet and moon
pulling the landlocked boys into orbit –
five lines seem to cut through the air around them
I count twice and then grope for my knees
fiddle with the limp patellae, count again –

it’s one of the rare occasions that I feel
my youth was misspent, and I look away
to the east of Olympic Village, to Bayshores
to Nordic Heights – in fact it might be the west
I’ve never needed direction to mean anything –

in the village, I watched a couple dance on the lawn
with hula hoops, beside the concert stage
and brightly-coloured deckchairs – I drank a coffee
with two ristretto shots and boiling, bubbling soymilk
yesterday when everything was different –

I bought the cheapest camera the store sold
and failed to capture mountains
or the bubbles in my beer
or the salt on the sweet potato fries we shared
at Longhorn waiting for Sebastian to cut work
and come climb, come shake my hand –
*

so numb after drying off at Garibaldi
I couldn’t hook the pole loops to the fly
feel the bloody mosquitoes I had crushed
open the mattress nozzle for inflation
put my hair, cut too short in Toronto, right –

what was it that the old man pointed out
to the woman, so overweight I wondered
how she’d made it up as high as she had –
on a distant ridge, more naked than the rest
under the only exit point for the sun

from the cumulus glacier lifting blue
and dropping oily black – black bear?
I only wished my eyes could see so far –
or else, perhaps, a path less trodden
than the one up to Black Tusk

where the vista from the top was still eternal
and the waning altitude air like light through the veins –
but they were out on a little island spotting trout
scrounging for mushrooms thought a superfood
but against the law to pick, just as for those without
permission, a trout could only swim around and glimmer –

in the interior, Anna said as I took out my i-Pod
for the first time, and lolled my neck around
as slow as the miniature waves came in and lapped
against the freezing rocks, these places are common –
I’d gotten up then to fetch my sleeping bag
lie it down a metre from the shoreline
and, once warm, placed the earbuds
snugly in her ear – listen, I said
and she did, and she understood –

I began to think in frigid absolutes
and killed more bugs
and shivered – the huge glacial wall
opposite me never moved – a humility
immanent in mountains and in her

I’d never know except to recognise
as the only altars I would have, but couldn’t
bow to –

*

hot enough now to have a second swim
the butchered breast stroke hurts the shoulder
I hurt when lunging for her serve
not a month before today
but too far back to travel without pain

greater than I feel as I belly feebly
for the towels and my day pack on ‘the beach’ –
that’s what they call it here –
drying off, it strikes me in a hazy spell

of emptiness, that I could leave tomorrow
or never leave – that a Zen monk might have appeared
on bonsai island, a monastery imbedded in the mountainside
a shoal of flying fish taken off
towards the airless heavens, only a short flight

and nothing would change in me –
why then, when I look around and find
the teenagers have left, do I feel
a sense of pity for that decommissioned rope swing
a sense that the rope swing has been falsely accused
and is now, as it will be until with age it falls

utterly alone, and beyond saving?


No comments:

Post a Comment