Tuesday 14 February 2012

the apricot tree


the growth of my little apricot tree,
so pregnant with promise
has this very moment reminded me
of a proverb my mother told
whenever she washed my hair.

women with child, she would say
as warm water dripped – thinning
the washcloth’s engorged fibers –
onto my shut eyelids and shoulders
have bellies like sunflower buds.

sometimes if the moon is blue
the baby won’t come out
a baby like you but a sunflower,
and mummy will plant it in a meadow
where sunlight drips down from space
and dewdrops sparkle like eyes.

and those nights, hot bath-tired
I would dream of the mothers
holding brass watering cans,
beautiful mothers smiling.

but my meadow mothers started to grieve
more and more woefully
until on the last night I dreamt of them
they were uprooting their children,
flaying petals to the bud, poisoning with salt
the soil also smeared on their hands and lips.

your story hurt me, made me sick inside.
your sunflower-children have twisted me inside
I said to my own mother, and
went away. Now, years later,
the apricots are fruiting
but I’m not hungry for them, never hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment