Monday 13 February 2012

with a beautiful girl, discussing literature at rainbow serpent


As storm clouds grow and roil I tell her
I’ve no favourite authors; a poet who reads
no poems, non-literary, non-decorous,
an image seer and hoarder
of light boiled to glassy vision
but no thief –

running my mouth
I say ‘original’, straighten the tassels
on the Chai Tent’s ragged rug
and comment on the statuesque
cheeks the pre-dawn affords her.

“But if it’s as you say then what are
your ideas but untruths,
errors, dead letters in silvery water?
I bet there’s nothing in them
Proust hasn’t explored- and that
spiritualism was exhausted
by Hesse how many years before!”

                                                                        “Reading is, you know, like the writer’s
                                                                          test;
                                                                          know the minds
                                                                          who thought of it all, then
                                                                          try to think of more.”

Tassels gone awry again and
damp seeping through my pants,
I can hear Erik Satie’s nightmusic


When I see her literally fly into outer space.



No comments:

Post a Comment