Tuesday 23 October 2012

following the car to the ponds


The car was an AU model Ford Falcon, one of the ugliest machines ever built. The sound of its approach put me on tenterhooks and I jerked my head free of the hedge. I was surprised at the number of painful scratches I suffered while freeing myself as I couldn’t remember being scratched – let alone feeling any sense having to force two objects of incompatible dimensions to fit together – upon going in. But welts had already risen in crisscrossed scores on my neck and so it must have been that other sensations had hidden the pain in a kind of sensory fog. I got to my feet and spun around just in time to see that the driver had turned on the radio; a retractable antenna rose in telescopic segments from the silver bonnet, which looked clean in the sunshine. I saw the big aftermarket rear spoiler and the taillights, shaped like huge prayer flags, pass Wilson in the direction of the park. There were no bumper stickers on the back window that might have suggested what station the radio dial was tuned to. I rubbed the welts on my neck for a time, thinking that if one body part suddenly expanded, another must have atrophied, and for a while I was convinced that my left leg, even if it was by microns, had shrunk. Everything around me seemed to be in very faint motion.

I followed the car. The car, of course, quickly disappeared. Maybe, though, it was just that I was imitating the car, willing myself to imitate the motion of it, because the way I was walking was strange, faster than normal and yet unfatigued, as if I could have kept on for fifty k’s without taking a hard breath. A lot of the roofs on Lincoln had been solar-panelled during the big government rebates; the panels looked like strips of motionless quicksilver from a distance and even in a squint I started seeing purple. There was one roof with the intestinal black pipes of a solar hot water system on it, maybe for a swimming pool. I realised that, looking only at roofs and the sky, I’d drifted off the footpath and onto the road. I could smell wattle, and leaves in the early, pleasant stages of rotting and my own hair, curly clumps of which had come free of the ponytail and blew in and out of my eyes and mouth. I made no effort to tie them up again, or to get off the road.

I walked down Grant, and for the second time that morning cut through the grass alleyway flanked by houses with old wooden fences covered in graffiti, fences so low that I could see all the K-Mart clothes hung out to dry and the barrenness, interrupted by pieces of crappy play equipment or a toolshed here or there, that was the typical Watsonian backyard. A good thing about the suburbs, though, was that people lived lower lives; it made me sick how high people in the city lived. In Mckinley again, this time I headed downhill past the dog exercise enclosure, to the ponds. There were five of them, of identical size and shape, like a line of little crop circles, partitioned by mud and trash-strewn bulrushes. Beer bottles and the occasional duck bobbled pathetically in the water, which was more grey than brown; once water had been polluted badly enough its colour seemed to lighten again. Little pine footbridges stretched across all five ponds, from one side of the bike path to the other. On the railing of each bridge was a plastic-covered plaque with the Banyule emblem and a blurb about a supposedly native animal – Ornithorhynchus anatinus Crinia signifera, Lymnodynastes tasmaniensis, Phascolarctos Cinereus, Cheerax destructor – that I was sure had never been, or would ever be, seen anywhere near those sad waters. The whole arrangement looked like the part of a sewage treatment facility that schoolchildren visited on excursion except that it had a bunch of crumpled UDL cans and empty stubby bottles to anchor it firmly in suburbia. I sat down on a little slope next to pond number three.

Sweat started to drip from my nose; the grass I looked at between my crossed legs was yellow. Salivating as though about to spew, I spat a few times and wiped my mouth with the sleeve of the khaki King Gee work shirt I was wearing. The shirt reminded me that I should have been at work. A few people walked past with dogs; none of them were Labradors. I took off my Blundstones and Explorer socks and stretched my legs out. By the time I tried to think about the boy, I was lying on my back with closed eyes. I was untroubled by feeling the spit I had done seeping through to the skin on the small of my back. Even though he seemed to be right there, I couldn’t get the boy past the outskirts of my thoughts. Trying to think of other things was hard, too. Unable yet to say whether I’d found the experience traumatising or just plain ridiculous, it was true that a sort of posttraumatic lack had already seized me, similar to the feeling I had had as a teenager when I watched a man collapse in the Chadstone shopping centre food court. The memory of the man’s convulsions and his concave facial expression, as if he had just eaten the sourest food on earth, and the flimsy chrome-painted chairs he punched and kicked skimming across the shiny floor like pucks on ice, came back to me. I tried not to receive it. Then there was nothing in my head at all. At that moment I felt a gust of wind on my face and heard a whooshing sound and, sitting up, saw a shadow growing on the grass in front of me. I covered my head and ducked; there was another whoosh and then a painful jab to my right hand. The shadow disappeared for a time, before growing again as if by magic. Whoosh: I wasn’t hit. On its final three swoops the bird, probably a magpie but I would never know for sure, seemed to miss me by increasingly greater margins, until by the third I couldn’t even hear the whoosh. They were swoops, I thought, which for all their chest beating were really about contrition: the bird had felt bad about hitting me and consequently appeared even weaker than before in my eyes, even more vulnerable. I lowered my arms. I stood up. My hand wasn’t bleeding.


No comments:

Post a Comment