Sunday 7 October 2012

strawberries


she is using the back of a hammer
to shatter the ice sheath –
rain lolling, like the diffuse pulp
from some vital paper pulsed
into sleeted vagary, like goose down
in the stolid grey, towards the courtyard

I look at, between her demure blows,
from my balcony window –
that keeps us from them: the crystal-
-addled strawberries I bought god-
-knows-when, on sale for another girl
who was allergic –

and the courtyard fountain is as empty
as the withered centre of the ancient fruit
which, out of propriety and maybe for liking me
a little, she swallows – whether failed efforts
endear more than do successes I don’t know,
is saying all the wrong things a good way

to do it I don’t know,

but I am thinking such things while she is here,
that couch pillow with floral tracery in her lap,
nice perfume on her pale, elaborately-veined wrists,
her in-breaths cold, her tongue and her teeth
berry-reddened, humming a children’s song
that buffets my heart so unbearably, smiling –

that we were both twenty-three this summer
is the overwrought coincidence
on the shoulders of which we arrive
at the cliff top of the stony dark –
I water the peace lilies, tear the hairs
from my hands at the thought of thumbing
the glitter flecks around her eyes –

the flimsy plastic punnet, frozen so long,
lies half-disintegrated on the countertop
in a little oblong of water: while she washes
her face I break up the countless flakes,
turn the laminex into a huge jigsaw board,
dip a few in the water and taste them –
they taste of strawberries – before the archway 
at my back says I think I will stay next time,
and the sound of a returned hammer happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment