Thursday 3 January 2013

New Years Story: On the Way to See Jangers


We come to a narrow road, narrow and serpentine, as if it were the trail of an actual snake that’s shot off, in fear of us, through the woodlands. The air blustering through my open window is cool and smells of rich, untainted earth.

Read me something, she says out of nowhere. Read me something in one of your accents. I tell her I have to watch the road; the feeling of my voice in my throat, like an engine idling weakly, catches me by surprise. Guarded by columns of snow gums and their fern and tussock understory, palled in the dust whipped up by the last car to have passed this way – probably also headed to the big New Years Party that Jangers and the others have organised – the road seems to be offering an optical illusion of some sort, only I can’t be certain what sort, can’t be certain whether the illusion is one of bringing things forwards or sending them away, because I’m concentrating on other things.

Then stop the car, she insists. Watch the road until the next straight, pull over where it’s safe for people to get by us in both directions, and read to me for a little while, a few minutes, a minute even, just put the things I’m thinking about out of my head. But the next straight, I say, is probably Sheepyard Flat. There’ll be people everywhere. They’ll think things, say things. Would you settle for a joke as we drive? 

You couldn’t save my life with a joke, not even if somebody had taken me hostage and all they wanted for me was a funny joke, you still couldn’t save me. 
I don’t really know what you mean by that, I say, but how about you tell one?

Okay, she says after a time. She’s rubbing the seat upholstery between her legs, close to the crotch of her denim shorts that’s stretched so tightly over her own crotch, like Mylar over the head of a drum. She’s thumbing the dust off the dashboard as though it were a smear of dirt on her daughter’s face.

Which weighs less –
Out of what?
Just wait, I’m remembering this as I go.
Okay.
Okay – which weighs less, a long blade of grass that’s got ants all over it, so many that it’s black, or –

The road dips very sharply; I make first eye contact with the river. I see children swimming in a beautiful stony river, and some fluorescent kayaks on its banks. There’s a parking lot, a campground, almost full, and a sign that confirms my estimates: Sheepyard Flat. But the narrow road darts upwards again, even harder into the mountain, and that idyll is quickly left behind. It smells of farts in the car – cherry and rice cracker farts – that I don’t think I did. And the lack of first gear torque and the fish-tailing backside of this borrowed Nissan Navara are making work of the ascent.

She’s making hard work of the joke and that’s all right. I have her, in a way, right where she wants to be, and that is where I want her too.
A blade of grass with ants, she repeats, apprising herself of what she’s already said, or a Norwegian?
I don’t know. The question’s funny enough on its own. Which weighs less?
A Norwegian, she answers, chuckling. Then she forgets the punch line irretrievably, and I pull over beside a big cheese wedge of granite, on the flat of which we both sit, our arses warmed by the latent heat in it, sunning ourselves like snakes in an unmanned wilderness, and I read to her out of the only book I’ve brought with me, Peter Camenzind, in a voice I feel could actually have been Hesse’s, until I crack up laughing and have to finish the chapter in my normal accent, that of a public school-educated Melbournian, and a huge coffee stain blotting out the start of the next chapter has us down and into the car again, which doesn’t smell like anything anymore, only the staleness of an old car that’s been kept well, and I tell her we’ll be around everybody soon, and there’ll be all the music and drugs and goodwill you can imagine, will you like that? She says yes and no, but then repeats the word no and simply says yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment