Wednesday 9 January 2013

The Girl in Gindarra - Ending


Wood smoke. It’s still in my clothes. None of us have changed outfits for days. It’s in my long hair, washed half a dozen times since Gindarra, hair I’d like to lop off before we pitch out of the Daintree and head inland to the doof; it’s in the sweat seeping from the veined concaves where my biceps start; it’s in my nostrils even as the air is clean. And I’m sipping on this ice water and chewing on these ice cubes, my fingers wet with condensation, and I can see five pairs of undies J-hooked with pink rope to the roof racks of the Landcruiser, hung there dripping after our swim with the Stingers at Ellis Beach, and I’m thinking that it’s time I found a girl who loves me, and I swear I can feel my boiling insides start to smoulder.


No comments:

Post a Comment