Saturday 20 April 2013

burying the bird


you as a soft-throated hatchling –
that’s what I thought of as I watched you die
on a tattered towel I’d laid like a drum skin
over a brass-handled wooden wine bucket
as I watched your wings seem to shrink slightly
your animal resolve expire, your wings stiffen – 

where beside me the lettuces, still growing
had toppled with the swiftness of their growth
had toppled with vital exuberance, green stars –
the dill gone to yellow snowflake seed
the jasmine free of its trusses, branching through
vacant, lowly space, the skein used up –

between the weathered planter box
and your death throes I knelt, cast my shadow over you
like a pall, I cried on you, I swept you up uncurtained
into the greediest of bouquets –
clutching body parts forgotten for a time
I thought how human your eyes were.

·       

a pinwheel spinning on the footpath
stepped over without pity by homesick traffic
feathers turned up by gusts of uncaring
a nervous system spin-out, a broken back
markings like, but neither, dove nor pigeon
I noted as I passed you and then stopped


in an iron rictus – looked back, relinquished
all the world but you, in adolescence, poised to go
and a wind that seemed at once like calm and anguish –
and the braid of my own hands against my fingers
soft as good soil – a softening of precepts I didn’t know
had ossified, and with that I took you up –

if I’d dropped you in the struggle – and
the struggle was unbearable at first, maybe
I’d have bit my tongue and left.
washed my hands with laundry soap
washed my hands of lifecycles, or put you out
to Elysian pastures with my boot heel –

you bucked like a tidal river dammed
but I held on, even managed to scrounge
for my house keys in a docile moment –
when I brought you in it had stopped raining
the fridge motor uttered corrective groans
the kitchen floor was littered with dead leaves –

·       

I searched among my music for a lullaby –
all my lullabies were electronic dance music
which I thought would frighten you (though perhaps
no more than other music would have) – I deferred
to the silence of the empty courtyard - there
I found my compassion waning, and wept for it.



you twisted into the shapes of my nightmares
only for me to re-pose you, like an angel, on your back –
I was behind you – as you spun your head around
and looked at me, I thought of arterial cracks
in the egg I might have outgrown and broken
in another life, in the egg you outgrew and broke

in what would soon be another life
your breathing slowed to the rate of a sleeping boy’s
your eyelids didn’t open anymore
(although I wouldn’t dig your grave till morning)
and yet still in my despair I couldn’t shake
a different sadness – that no-one would see me bury you.


No comments:

Post a Comment