Saturday 29 September 2012

walking home opposite a beautiful girl


I’m walking home, overheated,
and it’s hard to ignore the girl
on the other side of the road
waving around a dead lacrosse-stick-
-palm-frond-tribal-prodder-thing –
there are no palm trees on this road –
that says look at me to the press of traffic,
and picking up rubbish, and being pretty –
I wonder if the paper bags she carries
and deposits the rubbish into
are as full of books as mine, and if
she uses the same hair ties as I do –
I wonder how many years younger
than my little brother she must be –
I wonder if she is going on that walk
for solar energy this coming Sunday –
I feel sure for a second that she’ll switch
sides because my wonderment
has willed her to, and my haircut,
and my rolled-up left sleeve,
and the meeting of our eyes a few times,
and the likelihood that my heart
will eat itself if she doesn’t, but now the tasseled
tip of her scepter graces the close-cropped grass,
rakes gum nuts that bobble in its dusty wake,
and she is as raucously disinterested in me
as the fucking gorgeous parrots in the brambles –
and I don’t cry then because my screwtight
solitude springs leaks when any girl
prompts my mind to ask ill-tempered questions
of them, or compare them to birds, or often
incorporeal matter, mist, even though it’s true –
no – I cry because she drops her bag and it spills
and inside there is only more rubbish.




No comments:

Post a Comment