Wednesday 28 November 2012

Festival Poem 2: Beauty


a balled-up towel in a pile of logs
orbs on the brow
of a gravel hill
with the windy urgency of clouds
overtopping the sun, and scorpions
waiting out the midday heat, and can I say
the foggy fixity
of the coloured spots on our eyes –

she conducts her straw to the bottom
of the coconut and sits her wet black
bathers on the powdery dirt beside me –

the blonde hairs around her navel
glow like gem specks in the dry bed
of a creek, and bent forward,
her little stomach dissembles
into folds and kidney shapes
– I think of the blushing creases    
she will have when she sits up,
and how crazily she’ll stare
as I iron them out – after a time

she asks about the towel,
says it looks like a pearl in a ribcage,
that we should take it to the lost and found –
there’s a lost and found here, right?

but I don’t know – this might be
a hippie festival but it doesn’t mean
we ought to discover beauty
in every trifling thing – then
she points to a little naked girl
splashing in the mud wallow
and says, no, I don’t think she is,
at least not like the towel –

instead of asking why, I ask about coconut water
and remark that the clouds, purplish before, have turned
pink like the down in a cheap Disney sleeping bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment