Thursday 29 November 2012

Festival Poem 3: Swimming


today she has worn her best
and most transparent bra, and removed
the diamante from her navel –
she has whiled away the cool morning

smoking the last of her ice,
steam cleaning the blackened pipe
bumping a little ketamine that wars
with the Times Square hallucinations
behind her eyes –

tonguing the big gap between
her front teeth, swimming with me
in the turbid Murray, and searching
for softer words to describe
her ‘molotov cocktail childhood’ –

gum leaves have begun to hail,
sucked downward so urgently by the wind –
we speak of bricks and feathers falling –
I prefer the leaves to hailstones
but she doesn’t, nor does she like

the silence, but the slime
on the deadwood outcrop we’re on
and the cottage cheese clouds,
trellis of vapour trails and the chill
of greenish mud on her skin,

the sepia tear mark on my left sclera
and gravel pits and wombat holes
full of drugs – giving over
to glib pleasures, and Iceland, and Turkey –

the current sluices through her toes,
leaves duck shit behind her nails –
dogs fetching sticks are swept downstream,
ferried back by their dreadlocked owners –
black nail polish now the flecked
pattern of a cheap men’s business shirt,

she is picking at a white head
on her knee, a spectacle too savage
for me to watch, too savage for me
not to watch, and presently I think how good
it would be to fuck in some hidden corner

of this huge canopied bush,
to sink with the creature before me
to a seabed and garble out jagged
ills freely – to wait for her twitches to cease
and love until love ensconces us like a pelt –

but she has sun burn
and isn’t at ease – the nipples I can see
through her bra have softened,
the phone number she leaves me,
I discover a few days later, belongs
to her dad – I am not sure if this
is a bad or good thing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment