Saturday 1 December 2012

Festival Poems 5 & 6: Murrumbidgee Morning, Dead Man's Gully


I awake to naked women
holding their brailed bodies
as they wade to the depth of their waists
in the Murrumbidgee –

and to the current running
leaves like logs on a theme park
flume ride, and to three dead
rhinoceros beetles cultish
in their grouping by my swag –

and gum trees that look so little
now that it is daylight, less of a
gnarled predilection for animism
or sorcery, but fuller with crows –

I awake to the longish hair
of two men I don’t know –
boyfriends from interstate
who shake my cold hand firmly –

their presence has a slighter effect
on me than the wind, or the stones
beneath my mattress, or the press
of oversized convoys on the highway –

the pleasantries we share –
one offers me an old pizza slice –
serve only to illumine a truth
that I have spent this whole trip
trying in vain to deny –

the company I keep,
the intimacy I conduct my athlete’s heart towards,
the smiles I flash, flash like torchlight
are viewed always from beyond my body
in a place where judgments are unfairly severe –

where Anders Villani is an avatar
for I don’t know who.

…..........................................................................................................................................................

at sunset, Dead Man’s Gully –
over which runs Wordsworth Bridge –
seems from afar to be the last
bastion of the final onslaught
of Zarathustra’s Great Star –

its brushy dunes and dead creek bed
suffused with the lulling hues
of an old lady’s garden,
its distant ‘V’ cradling an orb

that will be bloodiest in the moments
anticipating its quiet
deference to another hemisphere,
another gully, another Wordsworth bridge –

now the skyscraping windmill
and quietude – crow song subsumed
into this cluttered silence – reign –
I watch as the rusted rungs

toil with the first human weight upon them
for who knows who long – some of the rungs
are missing – how tiny a man is made
against that wheel of fanned steel,
the gargantuan stock water tanks it powers,

the wire fence around the cattle yards,
the endless A6, where the horizon freezes
each set of headlights for half an hour,
and the final fuchsia vestiges
of sun in the low-lying screen
of stratus to the south,
and the hurtful beauty of the haloes
on the inside of eyelids –
the fact of these motionless overtones
being shown up for myth by every blade
of grass and cane, sleeping bird’s neck –

when Phil reaches the top of the windmill
my bowels have loosened,
my eyes have forfeited their focus,
my forehead is leaking
but even if it destroys me, I will disclaim

every bodily exhortation
to stay on the Landcruiser roof
until the word night can be written in good faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment