Friday 18 October 2013

rave sketch - the melaleuca man

eat enough of these green ants here
     and even if you were to die
somewhere in the bush, it wouldn’t
     be from scurvy. this tree
they’re on, a type of melaleuca. koori
     kids suck its flowers, you’ll see
why. taste one stem to tip and bless
     the morning. you see?
when I went walkabout those ten or
     twenty years, I’d see
a melaleuca near a billabong and set
     to meditating, still as, oh
the permafrost used to be still, and I’d
     contemplate Being
flayed of its ornamentation, like a paper-
     bark down to hard wood
but also ornamented with everything
     Everything – trees, no trees
green ants, no green ants, seven billion
     ashrams, all possible.
the emptiness of the outback reveals
     in time, a grub, a speck of red
dust to be infinite. do you understand?
     when I tasted of the ascorbic
acid, when I sucked of the honey flower
     Ishvara also tasted of the acid
and sucked of the honey so loved
     by our inner children.

yes I do, one son and one daughter
     but they were taken.
my neighbours – this is when I lived
     in Far North Queensland –
“expressed concerns” to the authorities
     never to me, about what
made a parent good. I home-schooled,
     kept their hair long, their feet
toughened. we ate in a way the Great
     Mother could in theory let her
whole brood eat. we lived for her wisdom
     but broke no laws, looked down
on no one. were they hungry sometimes?
     listen, hunger is a pedagogue
worth listening to, Atman and Brahman
     coalesce on an empty stomach
but my kids were never hungrier than any others
     because by hunger they really
meant malnourishment. they took away
     my kids on the picket-waves of
malnourishment. I prepared them for life
     as it is instead of inbreeding
illusions heaped on Illusion – clothing, food
     fuel, money, timelines
more than life, death, and the cycles – I
     taught them how to take water
from the ground, how to walk for days without
     fatigue, deliver dingo pups
need little and surpass. I taught them to round
     out the vowels in their AUM.
I took them to Portland, Oregon to see grandma.
     they were round, they read
like professors. they were blissful kids
      and I was a bad father.
well of course I fought – I fought with this charcoal
     beard here, this leather-skin, these
fatless ribs of mine. was that battle winnable?
     when I’m up the peninsula
I’ll see them. if you were to see and hear them
     you’d know I won the war.
   
     fifty-nine kilograms
when last I weighed myself. that, I believe
     was in 2004.
but you’re really asking something
     much heavier!
and I could tell you, I do these tours, I live like
     this for an audience. you’d
believe it. a festivalgoer, I could say, doesn’t
     listen but worships
the names on the lifestyle notice board
     cuts the city
to be a weeklong disciple, where credulity
     and discernment
are one, where you’re either in the lotus
     position or unholy
maybe even “square” among folks your age.
     I teach bush food
as its foraged and eaten in The Middle Way.
     I hide the grace in green ants
because receptivity and gullibility collapse when
     you speak of the spirit or the earth.
there’s no line, horrifyingly, to demarcate them.
     I teach at these festivals
which some may call pernicious – drugs
     and fossil fuel power and all –
to the cause, wreck the bush, quarantine
     our magic from the cities
relegate our magic to the realm of holiday
     for one reason – the alternative
sounds our death knell. If we listen we survive
     and folks here, whatever else
they might want, want to listen and love.
     here, suck another flower –
you, me, the sweetness – everything’s Ishvara.
    and the very same laws that govern
this beautiful melaleuca's growth, remember
     rear hearts and hurricanes too

your sweetheart's eyes, that poem you're jotting.








No comments:

Post a Comment