Sunday 13 April 2014

13/04


uproot completely, go with the dandelions
to where matter matters
shadows grew and shrank
and grew. still
I went harried through dusk
into darkness of sky, darkness of mind,
desperate to take a cold bath,
imagining my blue lips
sucking milk straight from an udder.
how I wanted a woman’s body
prone over my bare back, her forehead
pillowed in the nape of my neck,
breath of perfume, perfume of peppermint,
cracking my back like ice on a footpath
to find terrain more solid!
I wanted to suck the coloured light from fountain
streams, museumstuffs and the moon
but urban life had numbed me
and the proof of this was
I did nothing but think, speak and write
pursuant to the numbing.
it was what I was.
numb from staring too long at my own reflection –
even the subtlest twitch of eyebrow
struck consciousness like a stone in
a subterranean lake. was it any wonder
terror polluted the drinking water?
the modernists had shown the terror with mangled bodies
and maids who laughed at odd moments
but the trope now was to show things as they were.
I went harried through to morning,
drank a glass of coconut cream and rum,
my body smelling of weevil-ridden flour,
the bathtub fallen through the floor.





No comments:

Post a Comment