Monday 14 April 2014

14/04


walking down a narrow dirt track
– a disused ranger’s road to the reservoir
– the air feels cool as milk,
leaves carved from shadow
lie long, as though flattened by car tyres,
evening quiet in that evening register.
as my eyes edge into the canopy
above the track, where crowns from
either side compenetrate, forming one ceiling,
beads of liquid caught by my brow
could be the sap of the eucalypts.
I know the gate ahead will be padlocked shut,
blooming with rust. breath
this night comes with a pinch

and a mist. spirit beings
created the skyworld, where emu-footed men
and dog-footed women dwelt
undying, the earthworld of surfaces
where inchoate, huddled foetal mists
waited for those underneath to awake and burst through
and bring with them the sun and the moon,
blades to divide and define the formless,
stories to tell, laws to impart, songs to sing
until they saw fit to resume their sleep
or withdraw into rock, red termite mounds, water,
all things, charged thenceforth with secrets
only to be spoken into the rightful ear.

at the gate, I give up on such thoughts
for the scaling.
I was never a climber – my belly
presses hard on the tousled parapet of wires
unknotted in an attempt to cheat passage,
my legs, at one point, flail behind me
such that I have prostrated myself, half in, half out,
and suddenly I see a human megaphone,
sewn around the ear to an open mouth, two bodies forming
a pistol, bobbing down a busy Melbourne street –
anything whispered
entering the world as scream, and silence
reigning in vacuo between broadcasts.




    

    





    

No comments:

Post a Comment