Thursday 24 April 2014

24/04

Strawberry stem, though poisonous
I pull you from that which you protect –
I cast a grey glass mold of you
to nestle in my sternum, a star
fruit pendant – now you keep me from harm
as the charred debris of
humanness cools and hardens, nomic-
vested, renegade as fire.

Together, we walk to the park
where there are lakelets muscle-bound
by eels, their white-bellied bodies
like the serpents of so many creation myths
thrashing, a million-eyed
monad on the shallow mud bed
I could seize fragments of with my bare hands
to throw into the trees.

Watch the space fill up again
as though flesh were some magic compound
but you are not watching.
In truth, I converse with you just as I do
every single hair upon my head,
every ridged birthmark, every drop of blood –
they are quantum talismans
as you are, but with one difference –

yours is magic believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment