Monday 17 September 2012

Boy Story (Continued)


The Boy I Saw on Lincoln

Lincoln was one of those incidental neighbourhood roads you only walked down on the odd occasion, out of caprice or boredom, or when the idea of taking your regular route home from the train station or the shops had come to be degrading somehow. Very short and straight, you could have rallied a tennis ball – with a few bounces – from end to end. The streets it ran between were called Grant and Calvin and there was also a Wilson Court in the middle – a handful of houses backing sleepily onto an old wooden playground. I think that the boy who I am going to write about was the first person I ever saw on Lincoln. He is certainly the first (and only) one I remember.

*

I was standing on the footpath outside my house at twenty to six in the morning. Steve – the boss of the landscaping company I had recently moved to Watsonia to work for – was ten minutes late. The street was quiet except for the birds and the sky was so clear and white that it looked to have had a curtain of muslin thrown over it, the sort scattered around our bedroom because Sarah bought it at op shops to make baby clothes with. Almost overcast at first glance, it had the kind of crystal pallour you saw from the windows of an aeroplane that was above the clouds. While staring at the sky I noticed within myself that combined feeling of power and impotence that came with waiting for things while being half asleep. It was nice. You could loll your body around like a slinky while your legs stayed anchored to the spot; every movement, every perception so unfocused and guiltless – without giving two shits whether the thing it was that you were waiting for ever came or not.

My mouth still felt coated by the filmy residue of Sarah’s cornmint oil mouthwash, which I hated but had used in a rush instead of doing my teeth. On my work clothes I could smell the shavings of the Mirbau deck we had been building at a house on Zig-Zag Road the day before, and could feel the shavings in my pockets and at the heels of my Blundstones. A couple of cars went past and with them another ten or twenty minutes. The exhaust fumes the cars put out hung in the cold air a long time. I was on the lookout for either Steve’s work van – one of those turbo Mercedes rigs that all the rich young tradies like him got around in – or the Nissan Patrol he took pig hunting on weekends. He was never late picking me up because time was money; I was in no hurry to call him because I didn’t need the money that much and I was feeling all right where I was. But after the sky had been uncurtained to its full sunlit blue, I was awake enough to realise that something must’ve happened and that neither the Mercedes nor the Patrol would be coming that day.

*

Sarah would be another two or three hours getting up. Awake and washed and fed as I already was, I saw little reason to go back inside and decided to take a walk. I didn’t have a regular route, but headed downhill for a block and then cut through the big park, called McKinley, where Sarah and I had picnicked on the Sunday of our move. In the park I saw a few people out walking their dogs, and a very skinny elderly bloke plodding along the path in clothes that seemed too young for him and too brisk for the spring air. I saw that the footy oval was glistening with dew and that the cricket pitch was being readied. The smell of the wet grass sort of rushed at me on a gust of wind, which I drank in and then gave back out as reluctantly as possible. I saw that a lot of the bins were stuffed to the brim with beer bottles, but didn’t venture as far as the dams at the other end of the park, which was where most of the teenagers went to get pissed.

Pretty soon I had left McKinley; some time after that I found myself on Lincoln. It was a road built to the same suburban blueprint; the squat yellow brick houses, cement porches, brown-tiled rooves; the crooked letterboxes stuffed with junk mail; the kerbside trees with burnt flaking trunks and ‘V’s taken out of the top of them so as to thread the powerlines through; the surprisingly lush kerbside grass; the presidential namesake.
I was just passing, or had just passed, the huge firewheel tree when I first heard him. There were no firewheel trees anywhere else in the area as far as I knew, and I admit that on a few occasions I had picked some of the spidery red flowers on that one, which was some way into somebody’s front garden, for Sarah. They were like the little scentless skeletons of umbrellas upturned in a storm. Sarah was a girl who still got a kick out of receiving flowers, or pretended that she did, and I liked to think that the kick I got out of giving them to her was grounded in something more edifying than the link between flowers and getting to fuck her. I suppose this was confirmed by the fact that I didn’t pick them very often. 


No comments:

Post a Comment