Monday 17 September 2012

what my hand finds as she sleeps


My hand wades out of the dampness
of your knee pit
and onto the mattress
and then the cold floor where it treads
so flinchingly – finds the spout of your

carafe, used yesterday to overwater
the little cacti
spaced across the grimy sill
with the view of the best hotel
in Montreal – finds a lathed

leg, grabs hold and blindly scrawls
the name
I have awoken with as well
as sketches all the high jinks
I want to enliven your body for – finds 

the mole on its callused palm,
gently kneads it
with insouciance and then with angst –
I am tiring of rest –
but when it sets upon the coarse 

bristles of a hair brush I am sure
if it can untangle the covetous
frond of Indian hair at your back
with care enough, then I might keep 
you asleep for hours more, or days.







No comments:

Post a Comment