Sunday 23 September 2012

cold, lonely day, talking to a girl and listening to sacred spirit and rewriting brother scene in 'the car'


When I arrived Joseph was leaning on the green chicken wire fence around the chook pen, looking at the chooks. This was strange, because all my life he’d never just looked at shit unless it was in conjunction with doing. He could shear sheep for hours on end but got fidgety watching them for two minutes grazing in the paddock. I parked my car and got out. He saw me and seemed embarrassed, almost surprised, and kept saying sorry for putting me out. I told him it was okay and we went inside.

All the blinds in the house were drawn and it was cold enough for me to notice that it was cold. We walked through the kitchen to get to the lounge room, emerging with a couple of cold beers each from the slate archway dividing them. My old man and I had helped Joseph build that archway. I noticed a slab box full of empties on the kitchen table, and lot of dirty dishes in and around the sink. There were more stubbies and cans on the coffee table, and also a Coke bottle bong. I’d never known my brother to smoke weed at all, not even as a teenager. His place smelt of weed and stale food and I sat down and pulled out all the stubby tops I could see sandwiched between the couch cushions. I was going to read the quiz questions on the stubby tops but couldn’t because they’d had been folded in half really tightly. Next to me on the couch was a bag of peanuts. I stuck my hand inside but there was nothing left but the chaff at the bottom.

Joseph sat on the one-seater and cracked his beer. He wasn’t apologising anymore. He wasn’t really saying anything. I kept expecting him to launch into an explanation of why I’d come round, but instead he just put the occasional small-talk type question to me in that affected tone of voice he got when he was on the piss. As the afternoon wore on I thought that maybe he was waiting for me to ask what was wrong; a few times I even sort of sensed that he’d gone quiet for that reason. The problem was that I was no good at broaching sensitive stuff and neither was he and so I answered his nothing questions as if nothing was all we had to talk about. The TV got turned on. I started to think about the car. For the rest of the night we sat around sinking beers, which I guess was all right. After I’d gone to bed I could still hear him in the lounge room a while, hear the ping of glass and the sound of breathing and of a body moving around under clothes.

I stayed with my brother for three days. I helped him with some of the farm work and told him a few untruths about how well Rachel and me were getting on. There was never any Optus reception at Joseph’s and so I didn’t talk to Rachel once, but thought about her a lot. I told Joseph about the tit incident with mum and he laughed and said that’d be right. Then, as I was about to leave, he told me not to tell mum that I’d been round. I finally worked up the courage to ask if he was okay, despite not being able to look into his eyes as I asked.
“Yeah, mate,” he said. “Always fine, always fine.”
“Okay.”
“You’re a legend, Andy.”
I didn’t know what to say to that and just turned and got into my car. I was reversing and had my head out the window of my car to mind the ditch on the side of the driveway when Joseph yelled, watch out for that fucking T-Rex, because Jurassic Park was what he called the greenhouse. 


No comments:

Post a Comment