Tuesday 18 June 2013

poems written while N.M paints my portrait

we agree to meet at the Merri Creek to write
at an hour perhaps put to simpler use on dreaming
perhaps put to simpler use on being in the arms
of somebody pulling theatrical poses and sounds

like birdsong under lightening blinds, bed sheets
never quite so warm as in those moments
instead of under the cold sky, the wraparound sun
dialoguing with water-sound, vaudeville willows, magpies

and simple is a fiction I’ve read a lot of lately –
when I get there, I wait for twenty-five minutes
in yawning and in vain – my friend never shows.
what would I have written about anyway?

then, too alert to return to bed, I walk.

schools of shadows belly through the water
so near to the turbid surface that I see them outlined
I see them as shadows of carp and not freshwater eels
so near to that painting, in mud, of the nothing sunrise –

gathering flecks of the reeds that look freshly combed
dirt between roots like skin between parted hair
my boots reach a ditch on the banks, where I notice
a bed leg, a wooden, nail-ridden bed leg, golden-

lacquered, doodled on in Henna, identical to
the sceptre on the wall, among notes and pins
of my friend the missing author’s bedroom.
why do the bubbles in the silt now bend what I know?

*******

metal caps on drawstrings come to ground
ground veined with dust like running ink
why is she tearing up all the appendices
to the clothes that keep her body from me now

why is she tobogganing where the snow
is thinnest, where the thinnest footprints of ardour
can blow off like coconut sprinklings into streams
which turn hair as young and red as hers to white

only what we all have can lay claim
in the spool of tactics loosed by a world enraged
in nature, that bookish phenomenon
to the only ardour masquerading as true –

then she trails off while I’m down on all fours
looking for the brass, smelling for it
my footprints run, my knees hurt, my toes slide
my body is as high as it is low –

aware that the thanks I’ll never receive
would only make me laugh, or cry
and either so close to bedtime would be bad –
I find them – I might have found them earlier

flick them under the couch like errant marbles
feel around, feel around, feel around
the air the smell of one too many breaths
no windows good for sun, excessive sleep

whatever those stupid caps are to her
they’re too small for the meaning they house
maybe, I think, it’s just that the ardour is there
and nothing had by one is had by all.









No comments:

Post a Comment