Sunday 9 June 2013

The Soldier

From my stool at the window I notice a marble statue
newly erected, of a fellow from the Lighthorse
resting on his rifle butt, feathered hat doffed
as if to offer his brylcreemed scalp to the wind
bayonet to the citadels built at the heart of the earth.

Near the statue, a toddler chases the midday pigeons
a boy with long red hair and mercurial orders
firing to his upstart vocal chords, to his new arms and legs
then he stops and surveys the world that, rightly, he owns
he’s a pyramid bobbing on its point and he owns every bird

I see them flutter through the treasure-filled secret rooms
of his booby-trapped aleph – I can’t see
his mum or dad but know for sure they’re good. I know
the only thing he knows is all things end behind his eyes
which open wide as rivers when he topples on the grass

And gives everything he has to dandelion gazing.
     Meanwhile
          I see a flurry of
               iridescent feathers on
                     locks of my hair.

·       

It’s the music of jacked-up gas jets and onions dicing
that makes this woebegone pizza shop sound like rain
It’s the music they play here that keeps me returning hungry
and the beautiful waitress with blackheads under her lip –
indoor rain and small talk that perfumes the unwashed floor

Because the basil is shrivelled brown on my margherita
and the skirting boards flake and are painted amateurishly
and the flames on the wood in the ovens are trapped and vicious
and the basil bunches arrive in waxed cardboard and plastic
and the corners of that brand new plinth are crumbling away –

Because polystyrene keeps the Italian tomatoes from bruising
silicone paper the cheap roasting trays from charcoal
chemical bleach the water pipe roaches from sallies
straddling both sides the snakes in my heart from sallies –
and I’m rubbing my temples with fingers covered in garlic oil

Thinking that all the revolutions, all the turns around
of this inexhaustible rotary engine of ours
that roars in the helpless faces of physics and love
have become a single soldier now, an enemy we must kill.
But I, whose generation grew up in the Great Decay

Have also decayed, and so I sit and listen to the quasi-rain
and eat my rubbery pizza and wonder: has he ever tasted basil?
If I can break its limbs into shards like a shattered moon
then maybe he, with standby LED hair and paper legs
can cast the last stone. Then I leave, adfrift but, mercifully, full-bellied.








No comments:

Post a Comment