Saturday 15 June 2013

running

only when it’s coldest do salt lamps sweat –
no liquid in man or outside makes less sense
than those elemental flashes which appear
when the tears on a face would already have dried
devolved to the chalky mineral inside, never to melt again –

now you’ll watch me sprint until my hamstrings tear
my Achilles tendons blast away from the heel
my agony sacs excoriate each other
my heart want so badly to beat for the last time
I have to turn purple in order to economise breaths

to sprint purple-faced until nothing, no landscape, is left
only rabbit bones and painlessness pasted over
those bleak flatlands – you’ll watch me do that
from high over the city on the rise where you said you lived
but I wasn’t sure, and your urgings didn’t sway me

either way, your binoculars freezing like metal
tools left lying on a worksite through a winter’s night
on your eyes, the plastic smell of the lanyard caustic
the focus wrecked – all you see is a streaking blob

all you can see are the dyes of your old world running.


No comments:

Post a Comment